
Today, some friends of mine in Melbourne invited me to a Filipino youth lunch gathering at a Greek restaurant called 'Stalactites'. Except for the souvlaki's I have never heard of any other greek food nor had tried anything else apart from that. I am a safe eater after all and I want to make sure that my money gets what it deserves. =)
By 12:30 today, I do not have any tutorials for Industrial/Organisational Psychology this week so I went to sit in Danica's photography class at RMIT. The class was small and I think it was designed to be a bit more interactive, since it is a photography class after all. The teacher was great but I think, the "aura" of the theatre was too "crampy" and "stuffy" that I can't help but yawn almost every minute.
At 2:30, the photography class finished and we still had plenty of time to spare to roam around Melbourne and take some photos (applying our skills from the lecture that we just had) while walking our way towards Stalactites.

Chinese Arch at Swanston Street which welcomes everyone in Chinatown

A hidden space at the back of RMIT around Russel St, called an old Melbourne city Gaol. We went inside the courtyard and took some pictures (see below).


At 3pm as we were waiting infront of Stalactites, (kuya) Noel, his wife (Ate Ping) and (kuya) Jeffrey (Hani's kuya) came and it was time for us to come inside and reserve some seats for 10 people.. uhmm 10 people? In my mind, I was like "huh? Akala ko its just us... meaning there's more?" Oh well. The more people, the better. It is nice to meet new people especially pinoys in Melbourne. As we waited inside the restaurant, it took us a while to order our food because we did not exactly know what to order apart from the souvlaki.

Well, well, well.... after a few minutes of random speculations in the menu... We ordered the souvlaki. Surprise! surprise! ahaha.. Here are some images of the food that I ordered:




Critique:
1. Place - small and intimate, very much like a common Melbourne restaurant, it doesn't really feel like "Greece" inside apart from the stony walls-effect, but that stone wall is also quite common. In short, there's actually nothing stunning about the physique of the resto.
2. Drinks - I had Mango iced tea and it had too much ice in it and I find it a bit hard to actually taste the Iced Tea. Not much sugar, either.
3. Fries - Fries was good. I am not a fan of "fat" fries though, that's probably why I like McDonald's french fries. It was not salty, which was good. It was crispy, which was good as well and it tastes better with tomato ketchup.
4. Souvlaki - I do not really eat lamb, I just hate the taste. Although some people told me that lamb was good so I ordered a mixed souvlaki (chicken + lamb) and it actually tastes nice. It blended quite nicely together. I was cooked perfectly. But it had way to many celeries and onions.. Actually.. it had too much filling. But the taste was okay, the amount of souce placed in it was less than the veggies and meat, that's just how I like it. Because I don't want the sauce to sog the pita bread.
5. Price - Quite expensive but they put a lot of fillings in their food and ordering a small pot of chips is enough to fill 3 persons. I did pay $20 for the souvlaki ($12) + chips ($5) + iced tea ($3). So it is quite worth the money compared to the amount of filling that they put. If ofcourse, you cannot finish their big souvlakis, you might as well just opt to buy the ones in Souvlaki Hut.
6. Location - very easy to find, it is Stalactites located at Russel Street corner Lonsdale Street.
Thanks to the people who came especially the ones that I have just met. Hope to see you guys again, here are some other photos of your faces! (Sorry, I don't have photos of Noel and Mark & his gang on the other side of the table).



Btw, on the way home, I tried fixing the manual setting of my slr when I accidentally pressed the shutter button. The photo turned out to be good as the I had the exposure for longer that I expected. I will try to experiment on these types of photos and in Nikon dSLRs, you can achieve this shot using the Manual function and turn the speed shutter knob until the screen shows 'bulb'. After that, just point your camera at your preferred subject while pressing the shutter button all the way down. When the object/subject has stopped moving, you can lift your finger at the shutter button and VIOLA! there goes the magic! =)





Post a Comment